Sometimes you may find that your Windows 10 is stuck with Windows Update status being displayed as Pending install, Pending download,
Initializing, Downloading, Installing or Awaiting install. This post explains what these terms mean. If you face this issue, here’s what you can do to resolve the issue.
All Windows Update ranges have a standing. While they'
ll get displayed beneath everyday situations, they do get displayed while the replace method is stuck. It can be due to the settings on the computer, or it is able to be due to the users desire. These are the types of Windows Update repute you could see:
- Pending Download
- Pending install
- Awaiting install
1] Windows Update status Pending download What it means:
Windows 10 now offers to notify the user that there is an update available for your computer. Unless it’s a critical security update, it will not download the update. How to fix the issue:
You should manually click on the download button to start downloading updates. However, If you want to change this to automatic download, and want Windows to do any of the following, then you can configure your Group Policy settings:
- Notify for download and auto-install
- Auto download and notify for install
- Auto download and schedule the install
- Allow local admin to choose the setting
Choose the second choice in order that download can show up inside the history, and you get notified about its installation. The putting additionally gives you to agenda deploy day, and time to finish the installation. You also can pick to put in on a particular day, permitting you to replace on positive days while you do no longer have paintings. There is a further purpose which could purpose this —
Metered connection. If you're related to broadband that's marked as metered connection, then it'll not download the update. However, it will have a clean mention of Metered connection difficulty. Here is how to change the metered connection status.
2] Windows Update Status Downloading What it means:
While it means that it’
s connected with Windows Update servers and initiating the download, but if it’s stuck for long on any percentage, then we have a problem. Usually, updates don’t take long to download but can get stuck if there is an issue with the Software Update folders in your computer or Windows Update service. How to fix the issue:
We have written a whole guide on the way to clear up this downloading fame issues. Please study it. You will need to restart the Windows Update Service, BITS service, and also clear the contents of the Software Distribution folder. You will even have to correctly configure the TrustedInstaller provider.
3] Windows Update status Pending install What it means:
Windows has completed downloading the update and is waiting for it to install. There can be multiple reasons why an update gets into the pending stage.
How to fix the issue:
- A manual restart is required
- Active Hours
- Group Policy Settings
It is simple to repair this issue. The first option is in which you move beforehand and deploy the update manually. Simply restart your pc to do that. The 2nd is a conventional state of affairs. If you close up down your computer inside Active Hours, it'll never set up the updates. So either you exchange Active Hours or set up it manually. The third is using Group Policy Setting — Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation.
- Type gpedit.msc to open Group Policy Editor.
- Navigate to Computer Configuration > Policies> Administrative Templates > Windows components > Windows Update
- Locate policy Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation.
- Double click to open, and then enable it.
When the popularity is ready to Enabled, Automatic Updates will at once install those updates as soon as they're downloaded and ready to put in. You will ought to make sure to Configure Automatic Updates coverage and preserve it enabled. We pointed out it on the above point.
4] Windows Update status Awaiting install What it means:
It means it’s waiting for a specific condition to full fill. It can be because there is a previous update pending, or the computer is Active Hours, or a restart is required. How to fix the issue
: If the update stays in that place for days, then it needs a fix. Try the following-
- Check if there is another update pending, If yes, then install it first.
- Check if the status remains the same by disabling Active Hours
- Restart the Windows Update Service. In the command prompt, type
- Run Windows Update Troubleshooter.
5] Windows Update Status Initializing What it means:
It approach that Windows Update system is on the point of deploy the replace, and getting ready for any pre-
specifications. It can along with checking on storage space, dependent files, and extra. How to fix the issue:
If the update status stays on Initializing for a couple of days, follow these tips to resolve the error.
- Restart Windows and then restart Windows Update service as explained above.
- Open Windows Settings and go to Update & Security> Troubleshoot > Windows Update. Run it
- Run SFC and DISM command to fix any corruption.
- Clear the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. The download will start again when you do so.
6] Windows Update Status Installing What it means:
It means, all preparations had been done, and the Windows Update system is now installing the update. You should see a progress bar, with percentage. How to fix the issue:
If the status is installing for long, there is not much you can do except for the following:
- Clear the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. Restart the computer, and it will start downloading the update again.
- Restart Windows Update, BITS, and CryptSvc services, by executing the following commands in the same sequence.
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- net start msiserver
- Manually reset Windows Update components.
We hope this post clarified what the terms mean. If you face a specific error, simply search for the error message or code here on this site.